Bruegge Furniture & Undertaking
Bruegge Furniture & Undertaking.
The business was started in 1874 by Theodore Bruegge and
Fritz Brandt. In 1875 Mr. Brandt sold his share to Mr.
Bruegge and it then became known as Bruegge Furniture &
Undertaking and was located at the NE corner of the
intersection of N. 1st St. and N. Cherry St.
Mr. Bruegge was a cabinet maker and manufactured his own
furniture and coffins. In 1901 his son, Henry entered the
partnership. In 1945, Henry's son Ferdinand, joined his
father and the furniture store was moved to a new location
at 560 N. 2nd St. and the funeral home was moved to 620 N.
In 1952, Henry sold the business to his son Ferdinand’s
daughter Marie Heyer and son-in-law Louis B. Heyer. The name
of the business was changed to Bruegge and Co. Upon death of
Mr. Heyer, Marie managed the funeral home while Ferdinand
concentrated on the furniture business. In 1982 Ferdinand's
son Michael, joined his father in the business and assisted
in the funeral home. In 1982, Michael built a funeral home
at the corner of N. 1st St. and N. Clinton St. The building
at 620 N. 2nd St. was purchased in 1988 by Robert T. Bruegge
and William Becker where they established a law firm.