Breese Historical Society
HOME Mural 1 Mural 2 Mural 3 Mural 4 Mural 5 Mural 6 Mural 7 Mural 8

Mural Pavilion A

  A8 - Schwarz Hardware

Schwarz Hardware - 189 N. Main In 1880, George Schwarz, the father of Ben J. Schwarz came from Hanover, Germany and operated a painting business until 1906 when Ben J. Schwarz took over the business in a small shop near his residence. In 1917 he opened a shop on North Second Street. In 1926 the store moved to 179 North Main Street. In 1933 Sylvester entered into partnership with his father. In 1946 Ben sold his interest to his son Frank. In 1947 ground was broken for a new building just south of their present location, 116 N. Main. The building housed Schwarz Radio & Paint Store and the Piggly Wiggly Market.

In 1959 the present building, 198 N. Main and a warehouse building on north First St. were erected. The Schwarz brothers operated a full line of Keen Kutter Hardware. In 1960 they joined the True Value Hardware group. In 1975, Sylvester's son Brian, was taken into the corporation, serving as president. Brian is the fourth generation in the business.


  Home :: About us :: Photo Gallery :: Memorial Park :: Murals :: Museum  
  Copyright 2009 TechKnow Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.