This Picture was taken when the Post Office occupied the
location where Kozy Korner now stands. The building
shown here served as the Kozy Korner tavern until it was
destroyed by fire.
The first Post Office
was established at Shoal Creek Station on
October 30, 1857
in the town called Frogtown. Robert S. M. Donne was the
first Postmaster appointed at that time.
The Post Office was moved to the Village
of Breese on Jan. 21, 1881 and the name was changed to
Breese Post Office. It was located in the Donne home on N.
Broadway. The 1892 Post Office was located at a place which
now has an address of 620 North Second Street.
In 1893 the Post
Office was located at
198 North Main Street. In 1914
the Post Office was located along the alley on
North Clinton St.
between N. 1st Street
and N. 2nd Street.
In 1922 it was moved to the SW corner of
N. Main and N. 2nd St. In 1929 it was moved to a new
building at 580 North Second Street, the current location of
Logo's and More.
In 1938 the Federal Government purchased
the property at 501 North First Street. Construction of the
new Post Office building was delayed due to the lack of
building materials and government financing during WWII and
the Korean War and was not completed until 1972.