In 1853, a school house was built in
Section 32 by District #3; this one room school acquired the
name Linden Grove after Henry Renschen planted a fine grove
of linden trees. Later this original structure was moved to
Breese and used as the town hall until 1885 when the village
hall was built.
Mr. Lemming taught there until the early 1890's when Mr.
Anton Endres, a widower with three small children, was
Unfortunately in the early summer of 1915, as Endres was
selling Stark Bros. trees, he was caught in high water in
the Bartelso bottoms, although he only had one leg, he swam
about a mile before he was able to cling to an obstruction
in the chilly water. The next day his calls were heard and
he was taken to the Aviston Hospital where he died of
pneumonia three days later.
Joseph F. Kiefer of Dahlgren replaced Teacher Endres in 1915
and was welcomed by 48 students. Linden Grove was among the
first in the County to meet the state rules concerning
heating, ventilation, lighting, water supply, toilets and
The long day (9:00-4:00) always started and ended with
physical education; a brisk walk of a mile or two or
However, during the day the "Big Boys" gladly volunteered to
put more coal on the fire, fill the water bucket, lay the
wooden sidewalks to the outhouse or just about anything in
order to move out of their desks.
Until 1915, all subjects were taught in German which was the
only language spoken in the home. But Teacher Kiefer slowly
but surely taught all subjects in English. This change was a
difficult one for the parents more so than the students.
Teacher Kiefer resigned in 1933 and Father Lohman
recommended Albin Schrage of St. Rose to replace him.
Schrage held that position until 1943 when Victor Henrichs
took over until the school closed in 1953.
Today the memories remain and the pride in that humble
neighborhood school still fills the hearts and minds of all
who attended this outstanding past of rural America.